Krzyszof Biernat, Ph.D.
Professor of the Automotive Industry Institute (PIMOT), acting as Coordinator of the Polish Technology Platform for Biofuels and a member of Coordination Committee of the Polish Technology Platform of Bioeconomy. He represented Poland in the European Technology Platform as a member of the“Mirror Group”, and a member of the Steering Committee of the Renewable Heating and Cooling European Technology Platform. He is also a member of the American Council on Renewable Energy. Biernat is a an expert in the International Renewable Energy Agency, the International Energy Agency, Organization States of America and Operational Programmes: Infrastructure and Environment, Innovation Economy and Human Capital. He specializes in chemical thermodynamics of environmental processes as well as extraction technologies, quality evaluation and use of exploitative liquids, including biofuels, and biorefinery systems. He is the author of more than 200 publications in the area of properties and exploitative conditionings of fuels, biofuels and other liquids as well as environmental protection. Biernat has the licence of an expert in the field of fuel and energy economy. He is also a lecturer of the Polish Economic Society and the Polish Federation of Engineering Associations. He is a member of many national and foreign scientific societies including the American Chemical Society and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Technical Sciences, Chemical Technologies, Materials Engineering, Thermodynamics Processes, Fuels, Biofuels, Alternative Fuels, Operating Fluids, Bioeconomy, Renewable Energy Technologies
Positions of responsibility:
- Coordinator of Polish Technology Platform for Biofuels and Biocomponents
- Director of Liquid Fuels and Bioeconomy Department of Automotive Industry Institute in Warsaw
- Member of Coordination Committee of the Polish Bioeconomy Technology Platform
- Member of Editorial Board of „Studia Ecologiae et Bioethicae”
- Editor of the Depertment of Fuel and Energy in „The Archive of Automotive Engineering”
- Theme editor of „Chemical Industry”
- Member of the Programme Council of „Chemik”
- Expert of Operational Programme of „Innovative Economy”
- Expert of International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)
- Chairman of the Promotional Logo Jury of „Leader of Innovation”
- Chairman of the Poland National Competition Jury of „Young Inventor”
- Chairman of the Jury of the INTARG International Fair of Economic and Scientific Innovations in Poland
- Chairman of the Competition Committee of the PETROL STATION International Trade Fair in Poland
- Vice-President of “The World Exhibition on Inventions, Research and New Technologies INNOVA” International Jury (Belgium)
- Member of the International Jury: International Trade Fair Ideas, Inventions, New Product „IENA” in Nuremberg (Germany), Moscow International Salon of Inventions and Innovative Technologies ARCHIMEDES” (Russia), International Exhibition of Technical Innovations, Patent and Invention „INVENT ARENA in Trinec (Czechia)
“Attempts to use electrical properties to determine changes of chemical properties of lubricating oils” (1975)
“Evaluation of lubricating oils on the basis of changes in the dielectric properties” (1988)
On the basis the resolution of the Scientific Council of Automotive Industry Institute, Warsaw 2014.
Membership in scientific organizations and associations:
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- American Association for Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Academy of Engineering in Poland (AIP)
- American Counsil of Renewable Energy (ACORE)
- Gesellschaft fűr Tribologie (GfT)
- Polish Tribology Society (PTT)
- Polish Institute of Combustion (PIS)
- Association of Polish Engineers and Mechanical Technicians (SIMP)
- Association of Polish Inventors and Rationalizers (SPWiR)
- Polish Scientific Recycling Society (PTNR)
- Polish Society of Sozology (PTS)
Selected grants, projects, experts’statements, scientific research:
- Intentional Project No. ROW-30-2002: „Fuel compositions based on mixtures of hydrocarbons and vegetable fats and heating devices for their use” – project manager.
- Special Project No. 16/UKR/2007/02: „Development of the technology of alternative combustion of hydrocarbons in the gaseous phase” – team leader.
- Manager of intentional project No: 62R8 2005-6/06649: „The development and commissioning of the system for consulting services for the sector of alternative fuels in Poland” – project manager.
- POIG Task: „Synthesis of acrylic acid based on renewable raw materials, including glycerin fraction from the production of fatty acid methyl esters” – main performer.
- The main performer of the I Phase of the European Project „Baltic Biogas Buses (BBB).
- Project „EUREKA –BIOGASFUEL” No.: 5030E!, „Development and implementation of dual fuel supply system of compression ignition engines of agricultural biogas with pilot dose of liquid fuel” – project manager.
- Project POIG UDA-POIG.01.03.01-00-106/09-04: „The continuous control of the degree and pace of aging of liquid fuels during storage” – project manager.
- „The method and manner of disposal of used lubricating oils with simultaneous heat recovery”.
- Co-author of studies on the assessment of the possibility of obtaining polyolefin wastes and their use in catalytic cracking installations leading to the paraffin products.
- Expertise in the field of applied methods to assess the quality of fuels stored in OLPP databases.
- „Lubricating oils – state and prospects of modernization of the management of lubricating oils”.
- „Project of Quality Assessment System of Fuels for Diesel Combustion Engines”, PN 591.
- „Stability studies of petrol using accelerated aging methods”.
- „Determination of the effect of supplementing lubrication system of car engine on the aging processes of the Superol Special oil”, SD SAE.20W/40, ZN 10/86.
- „Studies on the selection of components for the preparation of biodegradable, synthetic engine oils that give reduced toxicity of exhaust gases”, No. PB 0-S20307504 – main performer.
- „Research and technology of optimal use of boron nitride α BN, as lubricity addition in military equipment”, No. PB 0T00A01408, – main performer.
- „Methods of analysis and disposal of rocket fuels content in soil and water” – team leader.
- „Technology of composing solid substitute fuels for rotary cement kilns and power boilers using refinery tar, including acid” – author of the project.
- „Determination of a reasonable service life of the lubricating oil in engines of Ikarus S 260 and 280, and Jelcz PR 110 U buses in the operating conditions”.
- „Development of the concept of integrated management system of operational fluids” – project manager.
- Biernat K., Kołodziejczyk K. (2012), “The heating liquids containing the component from fermentation processes”. In: Fueling the Future: Advanced in Science and Technologies for Energy Generation, Transmission and Storage, BrownWalker Press, p. 112-116.
- Biernat K., Malinowski A., Gnat M. (2012), “The possibility of future biofuels production using waste carbon dioxide and solar energy”. In: Biofuels-Environment and Sustainability, Zhen Fang (ed.), InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K., Malinowski A., Czarnocka J., (2012), „An analysis of physicochemical properties of the next generation biofuels and their correlation with the requirements of Diesel engines”. In: Biofuels-Feedstock, Production and Application, Zhen Fang (ed.), InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K. (2013), “Used tires as a raw material for the production of alternative fuels in the WtL processes”. In: Energy Book Series-Volume 1: “Materials and Processes for Energy – Communication Current Research and Developments, A. Mendez-Vilas (ed.), Brown Walker Press USA.
- Biernat K., Skolniak M., Bukrejewski P. (2013), “Biocomponents and their Effect on the Aging Process in a Fuel Storage”. In: Energy Book Series-Volume 1: “Materials and Processes for Energy – Communication Current Research and Developments, A. Mendez-Vilas (ed.), Brown Walker Press USA.
- Rostek E., Biernat K., (2013), “Thermodynamics of Thermal Biomass Processing”. In: Energy Book Series-Volume 1: “Materials and Processes for Energy – Communication Current Research and Developments, A. Mendez-Vilas (ed.), Brown Walker Press USA.
- Biernat K., Grzelak P., Gis W., Żółtowski A. (2013), The Study on Wider Range of Biogas Production Options and Experiences, Copyright of Motor Transport Institute ISBN.
- Biernat K., Gis W., Grzelak P., (2013), “Baltic Sea Region Biogas Infrastructure Overview — Existing and Planned”, Copyright by Motor Transport Institute.
- Biernat K., Różnicka I. (2013), State and prospects for the use of biogas as an energy carrier for stationary applications and transport, “Studia Ecologiae et Bioethicae” 10 (3): 97-117.
- Biernat K., Pytlak J. (2013), The modeling process of water streams, “Studia Ecologiae et Bioethicae 10 (4):113-138.
- Biernat K., Gis W., Grzelak P., Żółtowski A. (2013), The possibility of using biomethane as a fuel for buses on the example of Poland and Sweden, „Chemical Industry” 07
- Biernat K. (2013), Prospects for development of Biofuels, „Paliwa i Energia” 4 (7): 60-63.
- Podeszwa E., Biernat K. (2014), Biogas as alternative energy source, „Studia Ecologiae et Bioethicae” 12 (2): 137-156.
- Biernat K. (2015), Scientific editor of the monograph: “Biofuels – Status and Perspective”, including 24 chapters written by foreign authors, 567 pages, InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K. (2015), “Fuels Production Processes and Their Impact on Exploitation Characteristic of Fuels”. In: Storage Stability of Fuels, K. Biernat (ed.), InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K. (2015), “Criteria For Quality Assessment of Fuels During Storage And Exploitation”. In: Storage Stability of Fuels, K. Biernat (ed.), InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K. (2015), “Biofuels in Storage And Exploitation Processes”. In: Storage Stability of Fuels, K. Biernat (ed.), InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K., Grzelak P. (2015), “Biorafinery systems, technology and sustainable development”. In: Biofuels, Status and Perspective, K. Biernat (ed.), InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K. (2015), Scientific editor of the monograph: “Storage Stability of Fuels”, InTech, Zagreb.
- Biernat K. (2015), The development of biofuels in the light of the bioeconomy for Europe, „Czysta Energia” 9 (169).
- Biernat K., Owczuk M. (2015) Prospects for the development of biorefinery technologies, „Chemik, Nauka, Technika, Rynek” 9.
- Biernat K. (2016), Alternative Fuels, Technical and Environmental Conditions, InTech, Zagreb.
- Wawryniuk K., Biernat K. (2016), Membrane techniques in the processes for biomethane from biogas obtaining, „Studia Ecologiae et Bioethicae” 13 (4).