Bjarni D. Sigurdsson (Prof.)
Professor of forest science at the Agricultural University of Iceland. His research interests relate to ecosystem ecology, with emphasis on carbon-, water- and nutrient cycles of both managed and natural ecosystems; especially forest ecosystems in the subarctic or the N-Boreal zone. Effects of climate change on ecosystem processes and ecosystem structure in northern regions. Environmental constraints on ecosystem processes and structure during primary succession. He has authored and co-authored over 50 peer-reviewed publications. He has authored and co-authored 64 peer-reviewed publications and one book. Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry and Societas scientiarum Islandica.
Forest ecology, Silviculture, Ecosystem Ecology, Biogeochemistry
Professor of forest science; Co-ordinator of Graduate and Post-Graduate Studies at Agric. Univ. Iceland.
Seed bank of Lupinus nootkatensis at two reclamation sites in Iceland. Biology Dept., University of Iceland (1993)
Environmental control of carbon uptake and growth in a Populus trichocarpa plantation in Iceland. Acta Universitatis Agriculturae Sueciae. Silvestria 174. (2001)
Membership in Scientific Organizations and Associations:
IUFRO – The Gobal Network of Forest Science
Grants, projects, expert’s statement, scientific research:
- 2014/2018 I am a grant holder for the European COST research network ES-1308 Climate Change Manipulation Experiments in Terrestrial Ecosystems – Networking and Outreach (ClimMani). For further info see: http://www.cost.eu/domains_actions/essem/Actions/ES1308
- 2016/2018 Grant from the Icelandic Research Council. ForHot (www.forhot.is)
- 2014/2018 Grant from the Nordic SNS fund and the Icelandic UOLV fund. WetWood project and the SNS-GHG project
- 2013/2016 Grant from the Nordic SNS fund. Ecological effects of intensive biomass harvesting in the Nordic and Baltic countries: SNS-118.
- 2005/2009; 2010/2014; 2015/2019 Grants from NordForsk and the Nordic SNS fund: “Centre of Advanced Research on Environmental Services (CAR-ES)
- Leblans, Niki, Bjarni D Sigurdsson, Sara Vicca, Yongshuo Fu, Josep Penuelas, Ivan Janssens (2017). Phenological responses of Icelandic subarctic grasslands to short-term and long-term natural soil warming. Global Change Biology (accepted Mar 2017).
- Marja Maljanen, Heli Yli-Moijala, Christina Biasi, Niki I. Leblans, Hans J DeBoeck, Brynhildur Bjarnadottir and Bjarni D. Sigurdsson (2017). The emissions of N2O and CH4 from natural soil temperature gradients in a volcanic area in southwest Iceland. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 109: 70-80. doi: 10.1016/j.soilbio.2017.01.021
- Poeplau, C., Kätterer, T., Leblans, N.I.W., Sigurdsson, B.D. (2017). Sensitivity of soil carbon fractions and their specific stabilisation mechanisms to extreme soil warming in a subarctic grassland. Global Change Biology 23: 1316-1327, doi: 10.1111/gcb.13491.
- Sardans, Jordi, Mireia Bartrons, Olga Margalef, Albert Gargallo-Garriga, Ivan Janssens, Phillipe Ciais, Michael Obersteiner, Bjarni D. Sigurdsson, Han Chen, Josep Peñuelas (2017). Invasive plants increase plant-soil nutrient concentrations in nutrient poor-environments. Global Change Biology 23(3): 1282–1291, doi: 10.1111/gcb.13384.
- Sigurdsson, B.D., N.I.W. Leblans, S. Dauwe, E. Guðmundsdóttir, P. Gundersen, G.E. Gunnarsdóttir, M. Holmstrup, K. Ilieva-Makulec, T. Kätterer, B. Marteinsdóttir, M. Maljanen, E.S. Oddsdóttir, I. Ostonen, J. Peñuelas, C. Poeplau, A. Richter, P. Sigurðsson, P.M. Van Bodegom, H. Wallander, J. Weedon and I. Janssens (2016). Geothermal ecosystems as natural climate change experiments: the ForHot research site in Iceland as a case study. Icelandic Agricultural Sciences. 29:53-71, doi: 10.16886/IAS.2016.05.
- Brynja Davidsdottir, Tomas Gretar Gunnarsson, Gudmundur Halldorsson, Bjarni D. Sigurdsson. (2016). Avian abundance and communities in areas revegetated with exotic versus native plant species. Icelandic Agriculutral Sciences 29, 21-37, doi: 10.16886/IAS.2016.03.
- Thomas Berg Hasper, Göran Wallin, Shubhangi Lamba, Marianne Hall, Fernando Jaramillo, Hjalmar Laudon, Sune Linder, Jane L. Medhurst, Mats Räntfors Bjarni D. Sigurdsson, Johan Uddling (2016). Water use by Swedish boreal forests in a changing climate. Functional Ecology, 30(5), 690-699, doi:10.1111/1365-2435.12546.
- Krassimira Ilieva-Makulec, Brynhildur Bjarnadottir, Bjarni D. Sigurdsson. 2015. Soil nematode communities on Surtsey 50 years after the formation of the volcanic island. Icelandic Agricultural Sciences, 28, 43-58, doi: 10.16886/IAS.2015.05.
- Bjarni D. Sigurdsson, Jane L. Medhurst, Göran Wallin, Olafur Eggertsson, Sune Linder. 2013. Growth of mature boreal Norway spruce was not affected by elevated [CO2] and/or air temperature unless nutrient availability was improved. Tree Physiology 33(11): 1192-1205.